Arkib News Utusan Sarawak Sri Aman

Blog ini merupakan arkib berita Utusan Sarawak cawangan Sri Aman. Mail kepada penulis ke ceritasriaman@gmail.com untuk siaran berita secara percuma. Thank u boss. Blog terbaru sekarang ialah www.newsriamannews.blogspot.com.

06 September, 2009

Dilemma menjelang Raya - dari sarawakupdate.com.my

  • By Abdul Hakim Bujang

  • I must say that majority of the Muslim children are smiling from ear to ear now, regardless of their social status.
    Those with wealthy parents I presume have started doing the Raya shopping at branded outlets, whereas those blessed with a father that rarely had a healthy wallet like me will have to hunt for their own choice from the stacked of clothing on offer at the supermarkets.
    Price of goods in this State I must say are very reasonable. You can choose based on your budget.
    Thanks to the influx of China and Indonesia goods.
    Ministry, however must monitor misleadings advertisements spread over major newspaper, every weekend. I presume the officers are either not reading the newspaper or too tired fasting, or too lazy to check!
    Many supermarkets are now buying huge space in newspaper to display various item of goods at exceptionally cheap price. Try going to these outlets, you are likely to be told “sudah habis”, the said item not offered or worst the promoted items are offered at totally different price.
    I am not angry. I am fasting but it sounded as if I am shouting when all that come out was a whisper, hopefully the Ministry official listening.
    Weekdays and weekend pricing differences
    Being a normal Joe with limited income, I do not have much choice but to do groceries shopping over the weekend as the price differs like day and night, compared to weekdays.
    Many, especially the low income group and the barely literate, I presume are not aware. Furthermore, majority of them buying in small quantities, that normally offered much more expensive based on economy of scale. So weekend or weekdays spells no different, not much.
    That is the irony, the poor who buy in small quantity are normally having to pay almost double the price that the rich fork out. The larger quantity you buy, the cheaper it goes. Anybody in position and having the means to reverse this? Government will says ok (politician) but the system (government servant) will never be able to implement it.
    My mother in-laws always asked my wife why is my wife always in the know of cheaper place to buy goods? Yes, you are right. Kampung folks seldom read newspaper, and the Malay paper that their children normally buy do not “get” supermarket advertisement the way English language paper did.
    Luckily, our food prices are still within the majority income. For an average Joe, vegetable are still priced between RM1 and RM2 per bundle, depending on the supply, chicken eggs are abundant (meat for the poor) and fish still can be bought at RM5 per kilogramme.
    Dressed chicken are decently priced, those could not afford the prized “Chicken Wing” can opt for cheaper liver.
    Do not be surprised that RM3 per kilogramme chicken feet can make sumptuos “Umai” – yes – chicken feet umai, a newfound Sarawak delicacy, from the rural urban migration adaptation and innovation. Unlike the boneless fish contemporary, the chicken feet version is the opposite.
    Fun of making own cake and Raya cookie
    Whenever my wife returned from work, my children would be asking her what the project for the day. Life is much easier in the Internet age. When the request become unbearable to resist, my wife will normally gives in.
    The favourite are usually simple cookies that require very little effort and small budget. The children favourite is “Kuih Makmur”, pineapple tart and recently, Cheese Cake.
    Whatever they make would be send over to the grandmother house. We have to warn the grandmother that these cookies are made by the “junior pastry” and she would laugh at the various design of “Kuih Makmur” unlike the traditional round shaped.
    The grandmother too must be prepared for red coloured Pineapple jam. We normally make our own Pineapple jam, which is much cheaper than those on sale at supermarket.
    All you need to do is blend the fruit, cook the pineapple with sugar and add in some corn flour to make it thick, colour to your liking! I am sure my son will want it to be purple coloured soon, Barney the Dinosuar influence.
    As for the cheese cake, go and search from YouTube. We did that and enjoy a nice one for buka Puasa last night that cost less than RM25. Same sized cake from the bakery easily be four times the price. The best part is no baking needed, blend, mix and freeze – and eat!
    On the more serious note, traditional recipe are normally helped by my mother in law especially the Sarawakian trademark “Kek Hari Pari”.
    Cookie for the visiting guest are normally purchased – usually from kampung makers – much cheaper. Mind you the supply must meet Sarawak typical Raya celebration deadline – seven days!
    Wrong house but still welcome
    I never switched on the radio while working but make an exception today to gauge the mood. It apparently has never stop blaring Raya song. The message is very clear, Raya very soon.
    Come the celebration in two weeks time, my children would be making request to go to their friend houses. It would be a daunting task. Manouvering the narrow street jammed with cars. Mind you, each family minimum one car and some extended families like my wife have nearly 10. Imagine yourself how the situation like.
    I would not forget, how me and my wife entered a wrong house. We wanted to visit her ex classmate but end up going to someone else house. Luckily the host knew my wife family, to save us from total embarassment. I was very touched by what I saw. The hospitality was genuine.
    They have a very humble Raya celebration. Just one tray of cookies. They serve us the normal “Soda” in tiny little glass. Despite the down to earth scale, the mood is simply fantastic. You can sense their children dressed in new Raya outfit, the house neatly and beautifully decorated. The mood prevails. No wonder my Terengganu-born niece always pester the husband to celebrate in Kuching, nothing less.
    On my part, just like my forefather house over the past centuries, my house is open everyday during Raya. However, call first or make arrangment one day in advance. The reason is very simple, I want to visit too!
    Honestly, this year heavy stuffs probably served on the first day of Raya only. Second day probably I will be visiting my late brother family in Sematan, and do the annual ritual of reciting prayer for him.
    I have not make my mind yet, however there is big possibilities that for the first time my family would travel to Sarikei, my birthplace…. depending on kantau!
    Unlike my smiling children, just like any normal Joe, my headache had just

No comments:

Post a Comment